When I began eating healthier foods, one of the biggest items I had to cut out of my diet was pasta 🍝😭
I got a simple recipe from a free fitness group for zucchini lasagna, and I actually liked it. The only problem was it took forever to make, and slice the zucchini. I loved the dish so I did some research and found out about zoodles (zucchini noodles). I made the same recipe and would substitute the zucchini slices for zoodles. It was a hit! My husband loved it—plus it took half of the time to make. So here is that recipe with my own little spin on it. I call it the Zoodle Bake.
The only thing special you need for this recipe is a Vegetable Spiral— I got mine at Walmart for less than $10!
3 large zucchini
1 jar marinara
1 tub of ricotta cheese with whole milk
2-3 egg yolks
2 lb lean ground beef
Salt and pepper
Directions— **Note, I’m not big into measuring—I get that from my Grandma 🤷🏼♀️**
- Spiral out the zucchini using a vegetable spiral, and lay them out on a paper towel to soak up the excess water. Press a paper towel on top of the zoodles to get even more water out.
- Brown the beef, and add salt and pepper, onion, and garlic to your liking.
- Once cooked, drain the grease and mix in the Mariana sauce to the beef.
- In a separate bowl, mix the ricotta cheese with the egg yolks. I also like to add some Parmesan to this mixture as well.
- Grease a 13×9 glass pan or baking dish and start layering!
- I like to start with the ricotta on the bottom. Spoon out a few globs, and then spread over the bottom of the baking dish.
- Then add the meat and marinara mixture, and do the same.
- Now is time for the zoodles! Cover the dish with a thin layer of zoodles.
- Then add the shredded mozzarella and parmesan over top of the zoodles.
- Repeat these steps until you run out of ingredients.
- Finally top the dish with the rest of the mozzarella cheese for a nice crisp topping.
- Cover dish with foil and bake 45 mins at 400 degrees.
- Enjoy! We always have plenty of leftovers with this amount, and it heats up great in the microwave.
Mine never turns out this pretty— BUT it is always yummy 😋
What are some of your favorite healthy and easy recipes? I’m not a big cook, but am venturing out so I’m always up for a new recipe to try! Leave me one in the comments.